As CAS Associate Artists look forward to a Workshop session on “the Visual Essay” in November I turn my attention to the origins of the visual essay.
Our research group mentor Dr Yonat Nitzan Green has shared with us a text by John Bresland on the subject.
Below I have extracted a few definitions from the text which outlines what at essayist strives to do when composing an essay.
The essay is..
- A means to confront hard questions on the page
- An essay pushes toward some insight or some truth
- The essay raises new questions, it’s a work of non-fiction that raises multiple lines of enquiry
- It explores the limits of what we know
- It tracks a persons thoughts as they work through some kind of mental knot