Ideas for working with material sent by post
A second round of artists have been paired for #CAS PostIt Exchange 2017. It was done by random selection from a bowl of named slips of paper. Here are some ideas for how artists might approach their received material.
Singular objects and materials…
- How do you interact with your object? How does its physicality inform your response?
- Live with it, carry it, or keep it in your line of sight, how does its presence inspire your practice?
Multiple materials, a collection…
- What is implied by the collection?
- How do you sort, interpret and find relationships between materials? What meaning can you make?
- Simplify your process by picking one item. How do you choose?
- Does the presence of the collection from which it came inform your response?
- How are you challenged by what is sent?
- What assumptions and limitations are present?
- How can you trick yourself into making and experimenting, free from the weight of expectation?
- How might you resist or subvert convention and connotation?
- Be playful. What does play look and feel like?
- If you throw out all ideas, what remains? Follow your impulse. Where does it lead?
- Do your own thing. Trust your process.
Share your comment below.